Judi was born and educated in Suffolk, England, where she won a scholarship to the Ipswich School of Art, and embraced a wide range of subjects in a very structured environment. She has studied with many Ontario artists and finds her inspiration from nature, and many of her own photographs taken on travel in Canada and England.
Some of the artists she has studied with are Brian M. Atyeo, David Crow, Art Cunanan, Beatrice Hogan, Linda Kemp, Barry McCarthy, Ken MacFarlane, Elizabeth Pudsey, Laura Urquhart, Brigette Schreyer, and from the USA Frank Francese and the late Zoltan Szabo.
Since May 2000 Judi’s work has been accepted into twelve juried shows and twenty-one group shows and she has presented her work in seventeen solo shows in the Region of Waterloo.
Currently working mainly in watercolour, Judi’s subjects include landscapes and florals, often referring to her own digital photographs and/or plants she has grown. Water frequently appears in the landscapes, and some of her work is done on Masa paper. She experiments with the different ways of mixing paint, paper and water, sometimes with unexpected results.
Judi and her husband, Jim, moved to Comox, British Columbia in May of 2006. In Comox she has re-established her studio and joined several local associations.
Judi is available for instruction of individuals or small classes, either in her studio or elsewhere.
Preparing & Painting on Masa Paper
by Judi Pedder
“I like your DVD – it is everything you said it would be and very informative”
“I have enjoyed your instructions – you have such a nice manner of explaining your process, and your work is lovely.”
“Your DVD arrived, I’ve already started to watch it and look forward to using my masa paper.
It’s very nicely put together and a great presentation on the cover insert with high quality photos, good font, nice proportions, good colours etc.
I was a graphic artist for many years and give it an A+. And what a good idea to include a piece of masa paper so people know what to buy.”
Anna, North Carolina
Awards and Achievements:
- 2nd Prize, Still Life Category, Waterloo Community Arts Centre - May, 2001
- Winner of the 2004 Holiday Card competition in North Light Book Club, her image was used by F&W Publications, Cincinnati, Ohio for their corporate greeting card.
- In late 2002 a national company purchased the greeting card rights to 50 of Judi’s images for distribution in all Canadian provinces.
- Judi’s originals hang in private collections in Johannesburg, South Africa; Budapest, Hungary; Manchester, UK; Mishawaka, Indiana; Calgary, Alberta; Fergus, Oakville, Hamilton and cities in the Waterloo Region; Chicago, USA; and locally.
- Judi and her works were featured in an article in the June, 2005 issue of the North Light Book Club magazine.
- One of Judi's images was used in November, 2005 in promotion of a show at the Homer Watson Gallery.
- June, 2006 - Awarded "Active" status by Federation of Canadian Artists.
- Submission to the Federation of Canadian Artists (FCA) show was awarded "Honorable Mention".
- June 2007: The "Families of Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan" chose Judi's "Summer Blessings" for cards to be used by their organization. firstname.lastname@example.org
- December 2007: Judi submitted 3 "holiday cards" to North Light Book Club and her "Welcome" was published in the winter 2008 catalogue.
- June 2008: Judi Pedder presented an "Art Talk and Demonstration" at Berwick in Comox with the proceeds donated to "A Day for Africa".
- Dec. 2011: "Pedder a Master of Watercolour on Masa Paper" article by well known writer Paula Wild
- June 2012: Judi Pedder was invited to join the Botancial Artists of Canada association.
- "The Vancouver Island Silk Painters" Qualicum Beach
- Federation of Canadian Artists
- The Old School House, Qualicum Beach
- Comox Valley Art Gallery
- Botancial Artists of Canada"